Apply for an Ecco Domani Fashion Foundation award for a chance to host your own fashion show at New York Fashion Week
APPLICATION CRITERIA AND PROGRAM DETAILS – 2012/13
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Must complete and submit the contest application form no later than October 4, 2012
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Must be a U.S.-based designer
- Must be a legal resident of the United States
- Applicants' design business must have been established no more than 5 years before date of application (Fall 2007)
- Must have a minimum of one retail account
- Application questionnaire responses must be submitted on 8.5 X 11 form
- Must provide 3 references from within the fashion community (e.g., retailers, established designers, fashion journalists or members of industry organizations such as FGI and CFDA). Letters of recommendation highly encouraged but not required.
- Must provide most recent look book OR a minimum of 10 photos (with swatches if possible) of most recent collection; AND, if selected as a semi-finalist, will be required to submit 5 complete looks or accessories from most recent collection
- Must submit a 2-3 minute application video with forms (see 2013 application form for full video requirements)
- CFDA membership is not required and garment price points are not relevant
- Past Ecco Domani Fashion Foundation womenswear and menswear winners may qualify to enter under the Accessories or Sustainable Design category, provided they have been in the design business no more than 5 years
- Past Ecco Domani Fashion Foundation award recipients are not eligible for categories under which they have previously won the award as an individual designer or as part of a design collective
- See Official Rules at http://www.eccodomani.com/fashion-foundation/award/official-rules.asp for complete Contest details
Summary of Contest details is as follows:
The applicant must choose one of the following categories in which to enter: (1) Women’s Wear, (2) Men’s Wear,
(3) Accessories or (4) Sustainable Design. The following rules apply:
- Women's and Men's Design categories do not include lingerie or swim
- Accessories category includes all non-ready to wear items including women’s handbags, shoes, scarves, watches, jewelry, sunglasses, hats, belts, gloves, etc.
Submissions will be evaluated based on the following judging criteria:
- Creativity and innovation
- Unique design aesthetic
- Workmanship (e.g. fabric selection, detail work, craftsmanship, etc.)
- Application Form responses
- Evaluation of look book or photos of collection
- Personal statement as submitted in application video
- Industry references
The Sustainable Design category is open to men's and women's ready-to-wear designers who exhibit an
awareness of the following three components of sustainability:
- Environment: Design practices consider and where possible enhance environmental quality.
- Social Equity: Business is conducted in an ethical, fair, and equitable manner.
- Economic viability: Business practices are viable in the long-term.
Designers must show an understanding of these three issues and how they interact. In addition,
designers must be high performers in at least one of the following areas:
- Use of environmentally friendly fabrics and materials (i.e. recycled materials, natural materials, etc.)
- Use of natural, chemical-free, or other environmentally friendly dyes
- Use of production methods that minimize environmental impact
- Material sourcing and/or production methods that promote fair trade and/or social equity for workers
- Up to 25 semi-finalists will be chosen in each category from all entries, based on their applications and look books/photos, by no later than October 31, 2012, and will be required to submit 5 complete looks or accessories from their most recent collection by no later than November 26, 2012.
- 4 winners (1 Women’s Wear, 1 Men’s Wear, 1 Accessories, 1 Sustainable Design) will be chosen as recipients of the Ecco Domani Fashion Foundation award by the week of December 3, 2012.
- Each winner will receive a $25,000 contribution to be used for the designer’s fall show/presentation during Fashion Week, February 2013 in New York City. The Accessories winner will be required to put on a presentation by no later than March 31, 2013. Winners will be responsible for planning and execution of all Fashion Week presentations/shows. Each winner will be required to submit a design for a limited edition wine tote to be used by Ecco Domani Wines.
Please return all applications to the
address below, no later than October 4, 2012:
DeVries Public Relations
Attn: Beth Cohan
30 East 60th St., 14th Fl.
New York, NY 10022
If submitting application via mail (USPS, UPS, FedEx), package must be postmarked by above date. If submitting via hand-delivery or messenger, application must be received by above date. Please call 212.891.0419 with any questions regarding the Ecco Domani Fashion Foundation.
*Please note that all submissions, including but not limited to application materials, videos, look books and photos become the sole property of Ecco Domani, its representatives and affiliates and will not be returned to applicants. By submitting these materials in connection with your application, you hereby assign all rights therein to Ecco Domani. Submissions may be used by Ecco Domani, its representative and affiliates in any manner, commercial or otherwise, in any and all media or advertising, and will not be returned unless deemed absolutely necessary by Ecco Domani. Every effort will be made to return submitted clothing to semifinalists who include their name, description of submitted clothing and the date they will be collecting the clothing from DeVries Public Relations. Ecco Domani is not responsible for lost or damaged submissions and/or returning clothing without the required information.