Garden Fresh Penne Recipe
Garden fresh penne with tomato basil sauce
- 1 pound penne pasta, uncooked
- 4 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped (about 4 cups)
- 1 15oz. can Italian-flavor tomato sauce
- 1 tsp. dried basil or 2 tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium zucchini or yellow squash, halved and thinly slices
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
Prepare penne pasta according to package directions; drain. In a large saucepan, combine tomatoes, tomato sauce, basil and black pepper; mix well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes. Remove cover and cook 15 to 20 minutes longer, or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add asparagus, zucchini and bell pepper. Stir-fry vegetables until tender. Combine pasta with vegetable mixture and toss well. Spoon tomato sauce over pasta and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Pairs well with Ecco Domani Moscato.